New York City trip

Lately I’ve been a bit busy with work and other things in my life, so this week I decided it was time for a break. Being on the East Coast now, I took advantage of the holiday weekend and headed up to New York City for a few days of fun. The trip went pretty well! I took the super-cheap Megabus (which is actually fairly nice) from DC to Penn Station Friday morning. After arriving, I met up with my friend Grace. We did some sightseeing around Midtown, and then visited MoMA. Later that evening we headed to Rockefeller Center and Times Square for some night shots.

Times Square area from 30 Rockefeller

Times Square

Saturday was a bit quieter. It was really cold, so I checked out lower Manhattan and the Time Warner Center, then walked around the West Side a bit before heading down to Koreatown to get dinner and do some shopping. New York’s Koreatown is reasonably authentic, but depressingly small – only one block of one street! Still, I was at least able to get my kimchi fix ๐Ÿ™‚

New York City’s Koreatown

I headed out on my own Sunday to check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art – really impressive, but way too big! Unlike MoMA, it had more “traditional” art: really old paintings, lots of religious art, and plenty of ancient but impressive-looking Greek sculptures. I only saw about half of it before I got tired and decided I had seen enough.ย  Afterwords I met up with some other travelers at my hostel and wandered around Greeenwich Village and Midtown a bit looking for Sunday nightlife. To my surprise, Manhattan is apparently kind of dead on Sunday nights.

My bus back to DC wasn’t until Monday evening, so I spent my last morning in NYC checking out the Museum of Natural History. I was less than impressed with the Natural History part of the museum – they have an excellent collection, but the crowds were insane. Maybe too many kids who saw “Night at the Museum”? The science/space portion of the museum however was pretty awesome, particularly for a science geek like me ๐Ÿ™‚ Afterwords, I killed my last couple of hours wandering around the Upper West Side before catching the bus back to DC. Unfortunately, due to snow in Maryland + Metro delays here in DC, I didn’t get home until about 1am – just 5 hours before I had to get up for work today! Despite the lack of sleep, it was still a fun trip. I plan to make it up again before the end of the year – but next time I hope the weather is a bit more bearable.

~ by theuncommonlife on February 22, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: